Friday, June 15, 2012

Networking Knows No Boundaries

What is networking? This question to center stage as I began to seek employment after losing my job in Idaho. It did not take long before I realized that the traditional job seeking methods were not working for me. The few people I spoke with all mentioned the need to "network". Frankly the concept scared me.

I did not know many people in the community and this proved intimidating for me . It was a small support network group that finally enabled me to open up and allow networking to work it's magic.

Networking doesn't just happen. It takes time. It takes trusting yourself and others to help you. It means taking the time to look within, and find the person you are. We are all born with instinct. Deep inside all of us is a yearning. Networking helps to discover what you have to offer. Often there is a mindset that tells us the world owes us something, especially when we are hurting and cash flow is lacking. Networking allows us to move beyond this mindset, taking the focus off the negative and onto the bigger picture. Networking means reaching out and facing fears.

Once engaged in networking, a beautiful thing begins to happen. People are helping people. Visions are shared. Motivation emerges. Encouragement presents itself through a kind smile. Instinct becomes a driving force. Fear is overcome. Thought processess become clear.
It becomes second nature to network. Networking opens the mind, the eyes, and the heart.

Having said this, today  networking knew no boundaries. Allow me to share. The day began with a job seeking networking group where ideas and brainstorming filled the air. People shared their stories and in return, others offered guidance and direction.

Next, I attended a luncheon for thirty volunteers for a community computer learning center. Here were people, giving of their time, to help others learn skills necessary to their circumstances. Here, was opportunity. An opportunity to get involved and let others know my needs and help to fulfill theirs.

Finally, my day ended at South Yuba State Park, Purdeon Crossing to be more specific. The river is my sanctuary and I make it a point to take one day out of the week to experience it. Before I go on let me say this, I love dogs and will write more on this topic in future posts.  Today I met many people, along with their dogs. One dog inparticular caught my attention. For hours we played in the water and bonded. Upon leaving, I walked up to owner and thanked him for sharing his dog. He told me it was too bad I couldn't watch her for him. I told him I certaintly could, as I was jobseeking and also do animal and house sitting to supplement my income. He couldn't believe it! Long story short, networking presented an opportunity to leave my contact information with him. The glory of the whole thing was that everyone's needs could be met, and a little cash to boot!

Networking ought not be intimidating. Networking is connecting. Job seeking, as with anything, cannot be done alone. People need people. Just as the South Yuba River, the current within us is everchanging; and you know what? It's ok.

Laura Papke

1 comment:

  1. It is actually actually excellent that we have published hence exciting report.I am happy that I have discovered your website. I am anticipating browse different, worthwhile article.

    ReplyDelete